Global warming is a reality and is one of the biggest environmental challenges facing the planet today. According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the global average temperature has risen by approximately 1.1°C since pre-industrial times (2021) and is expected to rise further in the future.
This rise in temperature is having negative effects that are already being felt, especially in altering weather patterns in different regions, including the increase and intensification of natural disasters; as well as sea level rise, ocean acidification, and shrinking glaciers.
As we know, human activity is the main cause of global warming, especially deforestation and the release of greenhouse gases, which is an effect of burning fossil fuels. Although more structural change is needed (at the level of large industries and countries), daily actions can also have a significant impact.
10 ACTIONS TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT
As we have seen, the environment is essential for our survival and for that of all the species that inhabit the planet. Despite the fact that we have this essential knowledge, we often forget that many of the resources we use every day (such as water) are not renewable, and therefore tukif, we can reach the point of exhausting them.
Although it seems that we are approaching a point of no return as far as global warming is concerned, we still have time to take action. While governments meet each year at the Conference of the Parties (COP) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to define what actions to take at a macro level, each of us has an individual responsibility. These are simple actions we can take to help the planet:
- Recycling and separating waste at home is an important step in reducing the amount of trash that goes to landfill. Likewise, reusing materials and giving them a new life can be a great idea.
- Save energy and use renewable sources: Turning off lights and other electronic devices when they are not being used is a simple and effective way to save energy and take care of the environment.
- Planting trees and caring for plants help increase biodiversity and reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- Using sustainable transport, such as bicycles or public transport, helps to reduce the carbon footprint.
- Buy local and seasonal products to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Saving water, when brushing your teeth, washing your hands and bathing, is a way of being aware of and caring for this valuable resource.
- Reduce the use of plastics and disposable products. Especially single-use plastic bottles, buying aluminum bottles for example.
- Support environmental policies and laws. Educate yourself on issues and share useful information that helps the community. Likewise, buy sustainable products.
- Participating in cleanup and conservation activities in your community is one way to contribute to a cleaner and more sustainable place.
- WHAT ARE THE MAIN ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENTS?
- THE MOST FAMOUS ENVIRONMENTALISTS ON THE PLANET
- CARY ACADEMY AND ITS VALUES